« So many Santas so little Snow... | Main | This week is the annual bash at 3GSM in Barcelona. »

Friday, January 06, 2006

Yahoo! Go Mobile is live - The most comprehensive mobile internet experience

LauncherYahoo Go Mobile is now live, you can download it here. It was one aspects of the future I mention in my job transfer blog post. In the summer when I was interviewing I saw the proto of Yahoo! Go and it was immediately clear to me how significant it will be. In a single moment I realized that Yahoo! management knew what would be needed to unlock the mobile internet. This product was conceived and created by my boss Marco Boerries and his team at Verdisoft. I am very proud of this team, which made their first mobile product and a product which in my mind is the most extensive and sophisticated solution ever made on top of Series 60. It is one of the products that will be in my product portfolio and something I will excited to extending.

Yahoo! Go was announced this morning in Terry Semel’s keynote at CES. It will run on most S60 devices from 6600 onwards. It will ship preloaded on lots of Nokia Series 60 devices, if you are a N90 fan like I am it will run on it eventhough it is not really certified.

Yahoo! Go is powered by a content routing server which sits infront of Yahoo! services and ensures that you have the right information at the right time and it is optimized for the specific device. This means that it is possible to connect several devices and have them all be up-to-date. I use a N70 and my N90 and switching between them is really easy. I just need to move my sim and enter my password for Yahoo! It also enables us to connect the TV and the PC to the solution.

There are few things I find significant with Yahoo! Go Mobile:

1. It is a suite of services. This means you get lots of utility with one installation and sign-in effort. Installing applications on the phone and configuring them is a barrier to entry and usage.
  1. It is seamless. The seamlessness provided for example by the always up-to-date phonebook and calendar. While at Nokia I advocated for years for providing seamless back-up services on the net. Since I took the solution in use in September I have not used the Nokia PC suite for sync. The data transferred in terms of size is small, so I do not think keeping phonebook and calendar up to date is a cost issue. Images which are highly engaging and richer in data will be seen on the phone bill, but the seamless manner of the photo being uploaded without user intervention I think will get users hooked. I am also optimistic that operators will start to roll out flat rate or bucket rate data plans, where you buy different sized data plans depending on your needs.
  1. It is integrated. The solution is levering the native application and even extending them. We have added some features to the native mail app, allowing the Yahoo! user to manage mail archiving on the server and marking items as spam etc. I love the way the Yahoo! addressbook groups are synced to the phone. Finally am I motived to create list of hotels, restaurants etc. in my over 1000 entries long phonebook.
  1. It extends the utility of the mobile. The Messenger client on the solution is very comprehensive and the user experience of it is cool. It finally makes e-mail as hasslefree as sms.

So if you have a S60 phone and want to experience the future of mobile internet go and download Y! Go today and see what it is like being connected….

09:48 PM in Technology | Permalink

Comments

Very smart, ... I'm going to get hold of my brother's spare N70 and give it a go!

Posted by: Ewan at Jan 6, 2006 10:24:45 PM

Great blog entry and links, thanks a lot! I've downloaded the S60 application and hope I will be as much excited as you!

Posted by: Martin Sauter at Jan 6, 2006 10:30:40 PM

Hi Christian,

I've downloaded the app and tried to sign in with my Ymsgr id, but no love. I see the verify phone, the sending message and the waiting for response dialogues, but after a great long wait only the error message.

I'm using a Nokia 6670 on Mmode service. Any suggestions?

Posted by: mobilejones at Jan 6, 2006 11:27:18 PM

I've been playing with the app (on an N70 - no problems) most of the afternoon and was surprised at how easy it was to set-up. Y! Messanger and e-mail were ready to use in minutes something which would have taken ages if you wanted to find and install a 3rd party chat app and set up Y! Mail on the native email app. It's pretty clear that someone who may not be so technically capable will be able to set GO up with no problems

"It is integrated."
This is what i loved most about it. Y! Mail is set up on the native email app, The calender uses the onboard calender app etc. Users will already be used to the UIs involved and it reduces the amount of space the app takes up as it uses what is already there.

P.S. I'm looking forward to your talk at MoMo next week..

Posted by: Tarek at Jan 7, 2006 12:56:38 AM

Will Yahoo Go be released this year also for Windows Mobile phones?

Besides: this MoMo meeting in London is wrongly organized: room for 60 people is too little. It should be at least for 250 people. Now last minute attendance is impossible. Please provide much bigger room!

Posted by: Mobile Phone Fan at Jan 7, 2006 3:41:00 AM

Wow. I'm excited by what I'm reading here. Looks like I'll have to upgrade to a Series 60 phone soon. :-P And oh yeah... please get the S'pore carriers to support it. ;-)

Posted by: ady at Jan 7, 2006 4:56:30 AM

Aren't you a little biased? I would let the product speak for itself.

Posted by: Someone Somewhere at Jan 8, 2006 4:21:44 AM

Christian,

I've tested the application for two days now on two different phones and I am really thrilled. You haven't promissed too much! Some people have probelms installing the application and to get it registered so I guess some work needs to be done there...

I've made some notes on my first experiences with Yahoo! Go. You can find it here:

Martin

Posted by: Martin Sauter at Jan 8, 2006 12:06:23 PM

I think this app was long awaited and I'm glad that its finally out. Any reason as to why they didn't include 360 into the app, or is that something to come?

Posted by: Darla at Jan 8, 2006 6:45:46 PM

I have a wap only plan on Tmobile. The app tried to connect to IM thro sms, to which I said no to.

Then the mail got synced beautifully, but I suddenly got an SMS sound for a mail I just recieved.

I certainly don't want to sms charges for the tons of emails I recieved.

But in all the app is awesome. I can uninstall hallf of the applications off my phone (7610) and the experience is a lot better. The theme rocks too.

Posted by: SMS sound scare at Jan 9, 2006 2:04:40 AM

I had a lot of junk contacts in my Y! address book. Now my phone contacts are spammed.

Had to spend an hour to clean them up.

Be sure to clear your yahoo contacts if they are old or you will be sorry.

Posted by: Contacts at Jan 9, 2006 5:12:39 AM

Tried with a N70 and a full-access 3G connection but I'm always getting "can't connect to server". Are the servers down or is it the application that have problems with NAT'ed connections ?

(My device gets an private IP which gets NAT'ed to a public IP. All ports are open to the outside, but the NAT router doesn't know any protocol - e.g. streaming and active FTP doesn't work).

Posted by: Bruno Rodrigues at Jan 9, 2006 7:34:12 PM

And when does this service reach NokiaLand, Finland?

Posted by: Nicolas Fogelholm at Jan 10, 2006 9:55:14 AM

Please see my comments on this important development on my blog at http://www.offportal.com

Thanks

John Whelan

Posted by: John Whelan at Jan 10, 2006 5:22:00 PM

I love this app, from the day I installed it. First comment, although you get SMS sound alerts when you receive messages, these are actually Email alerts. As the message is not sent via SMS you are not charged, you just pay for the data cost of the email transfer.

What could make this app better?
One thing, would be letting me decide when it logs in to check emails. I leave my phone always turned on, if I can preset times I want the app to check for downloads, I don't have to worry to remember to turn off Y! Connect every night.
For example, I can set it to connect Mon - Fri between 8am and 9pm, and set Sat - Sun to manual connection, or such similar. Would avoid me getting email alerts all night.

Next thing, allow me to customise the 'homepage' view. On the screen on my phone tasks is the last app on the left hand side list. It is out of view on the main screen. As I do not want ringtones or wallpaper, if I could move the icons around I could set the ones I want near the top and the lesser used ones at the bottom.

But overall this is a fantastic app, giving me virtually push email on my phone, and really does make IM and Email a good alternative to SMS on the phone.

Using YGO! on an N70 connected to Vodafone UK.

Posted by: Jay3gsm at Jan 10, 2006 5:28:45 PM

it is indeed very nice. the setup took a limited amount of time. it worked well, even if the IM application seems to not always connect successfully. the photo synchronization feature is very nice !

I would like some kind of RSS access, or at least, add a "Blog" link which gives you access to the Yahoo content you have subscribed to (e.g feeds) rather than the generic US/World/Sport news.

Posted by: Olivier at Jan 11, 2006 5:11:55 AM

Tried over ten times to register the application but always it fails after sending the SMS.
But seems nice. If only the installation was done better.

Posted by: JyriK at Jan 11, 2006 5:29:03 AM

Thanks for the article Christian -- a number of us over on Howardforums are also loving this app, some have 100% success and others having troubles.

All are welcome!

Posted by: rivvah at Jan 13, 2006 2:51:09 AM

for those that have not tried this feature out on Y! Go IM. open an IM session with a contact on a PC. then, choose options > camera picture, and take a picture with your phone and then send it to your contact on the PC. they will be able to view your camera pic(s) in realtime!

you can also do this with a voice IM - just hold down the talk button on your phone with an open conversation window open to your IM contact. this is a really cool application. thanks, Yahoo!

Posted by: buildingawareness at Jan 16, 2006 3:23:30 PM

Hi,

i was using yahoo go for a month on my cell(6600). then i bought a new memory card. then i tried installing yahoo go on my new MMC but it is not happening it just shows installing for hours. then if i cancel the installation just yahoo go is installed with errors

pls help me on this...

Posted by: gururaj r at Jan 17, 2006 9:10:52 AM

This is really a good news for mobile users!

Posted by: Best Phone Shop at Jan 21, 2006 1:36:25 PM

Your post just verifies what I have been thinking about Yahoo. They are putting out great products that are very usable. They have definitely gone far beyond just being a technology company and I think they will be the big dog instead of google or microsoft.

Posted by: bbscan at Jan 24, 2006 9:18:34 PM

I have a N70, never restarted by itself. Works nice, a bit slow bt I guess it is normal for a Symbian phone.

I really hate the icons. I love the Nokia 6680 icons and I am looking for a solution to get those icons on my N70.

any ideas ? I got the 6680 theme but it doesn't have the icons included

Posted by: Keylogger at Feb 3, 2006 8:31:53 AM

wats the server and access point for t mobile in united states.. it doesnt have it up there for t mobile here in the states. HELP

Posted by: yel at Feb 22, 2006 11:05:13 AM

hi,i have used this software for a few days,, on the nokia 6680,been trying to use the msger bit of the software,,with no luck,,i have 2 ids on yahoo msger,,but once u put 1 in,and u cant seem to be able to change the id,,not sure why,and the people u add do not show up on the screen not sure why that is,,

Posted by: paul bevan at Feb 23, 2006 3:45:46 AM