« The Facebook phone | Main | Breakfast with the iPad »

Tuesday, March 09, 2010

The segmentation of touch

One of the exciting sub-trends going on in mobile handset is the searching of new dominant forms. We have the balanced middle of the road iPhone which has pushed the device width to 61mm. Now SonyEricsson is pushing wider and longer, a move I like. With larger formfactor the functional utility grows. I think it is possible to grow bigger yet, the key is to try to solve good one-hand use. It is and will be fundamental for many mobile task. The SE started to design for left and right handed use, look at the un-lock feature for example. SonyEricsson is also segmenting smaller. This direction is particularely excited as I am not sure that Apple is willing and short term able to split the platform into three segmented sizes. They went for Pad size and this will fragment the platform, they already said that it made sense to re-write the apps for the iPad as they become an order of magnitude better. Same applies to going smaller. The addressable control areas get too small for a 20% reduction, what I think is needed for true segmentation. This is why I think Apple has made their bet, it is the Pad. They will instead segment using features like style, camera, memory and maybe keyboard. This provides enough space to grow market share significantly. Atleast this is what I would do if I would be Steve. 16022010288

11:35 AM in Technology | Permalink

Comments

You write about SE, but the photo shows an HTC device... just curious as to why is that.

Posted by: Curious at Mar 30, 2010 11:56:23 PM

I own an iphone so I don't really see the point in getting the ipad. I'm sure it would be good for some things but due to the iphone popularity and the mac i think it's really only for those who love the latest gadgets. Great review though :)

Posted by: conveyancing cheshire at May 28, 2010 1:25:32 PM

I enjoyed reading your post and I like your take on the issue. Thanks.

Posted by: New Era Hats at Dec 30, 2010 8:09:02 AM

Also, you may save money on the labor, but if you have to buy expensive tools (with no idea if your early DIY experiences will whet the appetite or destroy it completely), then the cost difference may not be enough to overcome the convenience factor.

Posted by: mulberry bag at May 17, 2011 11:09:40 AM

Lagarde is solidly backed by the European Union. In recent days she got endorsements from Morocco, Bahrain, Egypt and the United Arab Emirates. French news agency Agence France-Presse said Indonesian Finance Minister Agus Martowardojo also added his support.

Posted by: Supra Shoes Toronto at Jul 6, 2011 6:09:04 AM

We're a little early to start running somebody out of town orputting someone up top or anything like that.

Posted by: Official San Francisco 49ers Jersey at Aug 17, 2011 4:09:55 AM

Touch screen phones are the hottest things today in the technology industry.

Posted by: credit repair help at Nov 21, 2011 1:05:50 PM

Touch screen phones are the best things invented in the mobile industry.

Posted by: Pinellas County Jail at Feb 11, 2012 5:00:12 AM

This provides enough space to grow market share significantly.

Posted by: off shore at Feb 23, 2012 2:19:47 PM

Posted by: Roger Vivier at Oct 28, 2012 11:07:40 AM

Great written article will be waiting for your future posts. Thank you for sharing.

Posted by: travel humidor at Oct 31, 2012 12:33:04 PM