« Moved back to Finland after 6 years in London | Main | End of an era »

Monday, October 31, 2011

Nokia Lumina 800 meets the iPhone 4s. Magenta trumps black glass.

Photo

The Nokia Lumina 800 is like a fresh breath of air in the black world of smart phones. I got a Magenta test unit from Nokia and it feels very good. In the past 3 years I have not really used much else than an iPhone, every time I switch to Android I get disappointed, the experience is simply too unpolished in the details, and then it has typically too much customisation whipcream, so that you cannot taste what the flavour is. I hope Motorola/Google will clean it up.

I of course got an iPhone 4s when it came out and upgraded to it. It was more painful than before. I ended up using my iPad back-up to restore, it took a whole evening, and I was not happy. The iPhones 4s is better, but marginally less better than the 3gs was at the time. The 3gs felt like a big step for an upgrade. The 4s feels like a small step. I understand that much has changed under the hood and particularely in the cloud. But doing the whole iCloud, and being a paying MobileMe user, filling up my iCloud with BackUp got me simply to say no thank you to iCloud. Please let there first be some iSunshine. Only the camera got me excited. Despite fighting back, I got bored, very bored. I think we will see some iPhone fatigue creep in this holiday season.

My last hope was to get Siri to fall in love with me, but when introducing her to the family thought she was well - blond… I just do not have that much to tell her, and when I do she does not understand me. I do have an accent, sort of Finnish, Scandinavian, Swedish, some people think Dutch. It is not as strong as many other non native speakers of English and yet she has problems with it. I think she would learn over time, but in this relationship there is not much time, when I am bored.

Just as I got bored I got a hot looking Magenta Lumina, it does illuminate my everyday. I was really jazzed up after Nokia world, not since the N95 have I seen the Nokia guys as fired up. Stephen Elop has been like a fresh breath of simplicity at Nokia. Less of that big word mumbo jumbo delivering next year; simply more of less everywhere. I really liked the new service strategy of calling the services, by the natural language name. Music is music, drive is Drive. No more branding, just deliver the stuff that matters.

The phone is very responsive, the basics work. The camera is great. We did a bit of comparing of displays, loaded the video cover for Coldplay’s Paradise, which essentially has all colours in a picture, and the display outshines the iPhone display in every way. The iPhone on the other hand is louder. The kids liked the new Nokia, particularly to videos on, 15 seconds to get to a video on YouTube got a spontaneous WOW. This comparing led to a spontaneous family focus group on what phones kids desire, at this point we had two 16 old boys, 14 year, 10 year old and 7 year old girls. One of the 16 year old boys was a guest The conclusion was unexpected. No one craved these new hot phones, and I sold hard. I even offered to give them, but gave them the chance to get €700 and use it as they wish. They opted for a ZTE Blade, which was what our guest had. It does the essentials, rest would be spent saving, partying, buying stuff for the moped, buying dolls. One of the iconic quotes, ‘I want a HTC Galaxy’. Seems it is not only me who gets confused about black phones with touch screens. Or is ‘ZTE and HTC not same company’. Or ten year old saying phones are not interesting. Time to step up innovation, the phone industry is in an incremental phase if there is any insight to be drawn from the family focus group.

Comments

really appreciate YOU — thanks a lot!

Posted by: cheap fitted hats at Dec 10, 2011 8:58:35 AM

great information you write it very clean. I am very lucky to get this tips from you.

Posted by: cheap snapbacks at Dec 13, 2011 8:14:53 AM

I went from an iPhone 4 to a Nokia 800 and I'm not regretting it at all. As everyone knows, there is a shortage of apps on the windows marketplace, but this will change very soon.

Posted by: spy phone at Dec 30, 2011 9:26:22 AM

The Filipino star used his blazing speed and power from both hands to win his seventh title in seven weight classes and cement his stature as the best pound-for-pound fighter in the world. Cotto took such a beating that his face was a river of red from the fury of Pacquiao’s punches, but he refused to quit even as his corner tried to throw in the towel after the 11th round.

Posted by: lady gaga headphones at Feb 22, 2012 9:43:41 AM

tried to throw in the towel after the 11th round.

Posted by: vans outlet shoe store at Feb 22, 2012 12:17:47 PM

but his family charts and blood samples led to a sharper understanding of the recessive diseases that only surface if both parents carry a defective gene.

Posted by: ralph lauren sale at Feb 23, 2012 2:25:00 AM

Abbas said that through settlement building in the West Bank and Jerusalem, Israel is carrying out an "ethnic cleansing

Posted by: jimmy choo wedding shoes uk at Feb 27, 2012 3:30:14 AM

Posted by: chaussures timberland at Mar 6, 2012 3:18:05 AM

Republicans whose job it is to track these things acknowledge that the Obama campaign's efforts are多少

Posted by: chaussures timberland at Mar 9, 2012 8:18:58 AM

Posted by: sunglasses ray ban at Mar 13, 2012 6:24:44 AM

Republicans whose job it is to track these things acknowledge that the Obama campaign's efforts are http://www.oakleylunettesfr.com

Posted by: lunette oakley at Mar 20, 2012 11:51:02 AM

Posted by: トリーバーチ シューズ at Apr 17, 2012 9:33:36 AM

whose job it is to track these things acknowledge that the Obama campaign's efforts are http://www.oakleysunglassesuk.net/

Posted by: fake oakley sunglasses at Apr 17, 2012 9:34:44 AM

Republicans whose job it is to track these things acknowledge that the Obama campaign's efforts are http://www.toryburchjp.net/

Posted by: トリーバーチ ショップ at Apr 17, 2012 9:37:14 AM

I would like to appreciate your hard work you did write this post, Thanks for sharing this valuable post.
"it is released by http://www.cheapraybansoutlet.co.uk/ 2012.05.14"

Posted by: cheapraybans at May 14, 2012 12:50:38 PM

really appreciate YOU — thanks a lot!

Posted by: Nike shoes at May 22, 2012 6:27:12 AM

Kiss this looks great

Posted by: oakley glasses at May 24, 2012 5:12:45 AM

I am so happy to read your post , it is wonderful .

Posted by: Burberry Borse at May 28, 2012 12:40:22 PM

Thank you on your insightful article content this unique information. I like this website very much, Its a rattling nice position to read and incur information.

Posted by: Louis Vuitton Sac Pas Cher at May 28, 2012 12:55:03 PM

Thanks for sharing! I agree with you. The artical improve me so much! I will come here frequently.

Posted by: Gucci Taschen at May 30, 2012 4:19:30 AM

Der Blog sieht gut aus! Freuen uns auf Sie mehr über Social Media, Werbung und mehr Grün.

Posted by: Chanel Taschen at Jun 9, 2012 4:36:51 AM

Es ist ein guter Beitrag! Und dank Sharing

Posted by: Prada Schuhe at Jun 9, 2012 10:51:38 AM

Powerful post and I enjoyed reading your blog.

Posted by: Classic Chanel Bags at Jun 9, 2012 10:56:23 AM

Molto ben scritto. Hai spiegato ogni punto. Piaciuto l'articolo intero! molti

grazie!

Posted by: Louis Vuitton Prezzi Borse at Jun 19, 2012 4:36:14 AM

I performed a search on the issue and discovered almost all peoples will agree with your blog.

Posted by: Moncler shop at Jun 21, 2012 3:55:56 AM