« Nokia Lumina 800 meets the iPhone 4s. Magenta trumps black glass. | Main | Kodak moments fading into history »

Saturday, December 31, 2011

End of an era

Photo 2011-12-31 12 11 55

Most of my adult life I have subscribed to a daily newspaper. Today this ends. I have stopped my subscription to Helsinging Sanomat, Finland's largest daily. It has been a slow death, at the end I had it coming only on week-ends.

The iPad has been the catalyst. I prefer to read on my iPad, and what I read is on-line stuff, mainly using Flipboard. It is my universal destination for reading media. Most days starts in Flipboard. For me the death of the newspaper took 20 months. The key reason is its poor user interface. It commands too much real-estate on the table. It is noisy and it smells bad.

As I have saw this slow death coming, I started pondering on the content. In the past few months, the ratio of interesting to nonsense was really striking. Sometimes I only found 2-3 intersting stories, endless amount of small irrelevant ads and increasingly yesterday's news.

Does this mean end of media, death of content? I think not. On the contrary we are living in an era with abundance of content. What we have is a distribution and power control struggle. We also have a massive business model problem. Consumers are not used to pay for content, and in the digital screen real-estate is scarse.

The distribution is analogue, we live in a digital era. The user interface is analogue, we live in a digital era. With the emergence of tablets, and abundace of LCDs we have more opportunities than ever before.

I think following 6 things need to happen:

1. Think aggregation. Use your media  brand reputation as an aggregator. Aggregate anything that can be aggregated, smaller brands, bloggers, soccer mums and experts. As media you are in the timeshare business. Flipboard is a guide guide if you lack imagination.

2. Think local head global tail. People live locally and care about the what is close. Make local the hero content, a fallen tree on the neighbours house is a bigger story than a storm on the riviera. This require creation of an open source media operating system, into which people can publish. Mash-up a Instapaper with Wordpress

3. Celebrate the good journalist. Focus on quality, let journalist produce what they excel in, telling stories, rather than fill text around ads. Reward journalist based on readership, sort of performance based journalism. This is hard as requires some kind of disruption. Look at GigaOm and their network of contributors.

4. Enable micropayments. I am a believer in that people will pay for content. If users en mass has paid for ringtones, buying TV episodes, I do think they will pay for good stories. Journalist produce much more content than editors allow to be published, let the fans read and see the backstories. With micropayments this could be monetised.

5. Price for volume, price content in the digital world with a volume, I think the pricing of media on the iPad does not encourage uptake. A newspaper should not cost more than €.99, once there is usage advertisers will come and someone will invent new forms of monetisation. Before you have usrs, you have nothing.

6. Provide a personal library. Supplying a cloudbased digital library and clipbook would over time create an incredibly powerful lock-in. I would not mind subscribing to a media library of all the stories I have read. Look at Evernote, once one crosses a certain amount of content one is hooked.

I know this are all tall orders to achive, but eventually the force of disruption will act. Newspapers are dead, long live News.

Comments

Posted by: Lunette ray ban at Mar 13, 2012 6:25:46 AM

superb! In general, I%u2019ve never read the article, but overall, the way you say that this information is really amazing, this has been my interest in reading, I like http://www.shopmaxs.com

Posted by: nike air max at Mar 21, 2012 8:49:22 AM

but overall, the way you say that this information is really amazing

Posted by: ray ban aviators at Apr 16, 2012 4:35:56 AM

Posted by: ralph lauren sale at Apr 19, 2012 9:25:19 AM

Posted by: ray ban parts at Apr 25, 2012 4:18:12 AM

Posted by: ray ban uk at Apr 28, 2012 4:11:29 AM

Posted by: tn 2011 at May 3, 2012 5:19:07 AM

FBI Special Agent Steve Gomez said dogs had tracked Ivens' scent toward the Verdugo Mountains, east of Burbank, but searchers have fanned out throughout Los Angeles County.

Posted by: tn requin at May 14, 2012 3:59:02 AM

Ivens was distraught and authorities fear he may have harmed himself, according to KABC-TV. Officials did not say why Ivens was distraught.

Posted by: bottes timberland at May 14, 2012 4:00:30 AM

I would like to appreciate your hard work you did write this post, Thanks for sharing this valuable post.
"it is released by http://www.cheapraybansoutlet.co.uk/ 2012.05.14"

Posted by: cheapraybans at May 14, 2012 12:50:14 PM

I am very glad to read and visit your site..This is really very interesting stuff shared here.Everyone must try this..Thanks!!

Posted by: Herve Leger Dress at May 24, 2012 5:12:19 AM

I have read this post. Now my knowledge has been increase about above topic. Thanks to blog owner

Posted by: Gucci Taschen at May 28, 2012 10:09:02 AM

Thanks for sharing such a nice post ….

Posted by: Chanel Sac à Main at May 28, 2012 12:56:23 PM

Penso che pagheranno per buone storie. Giornalista produrre contenuti molto più di editor permettono di essere pubblicato, lasciate che i fans leggere e vedere le backstories. Con micropagamenti questo potrebbe essere monetizzate.

Grazie per questo articolo. Questo è tutto quello che posso dire. È sicuramente

hanno fatto di questo blog in qualcosa di speciale. È chiaramente sapere cosa si

stanno facendo, hai coperto bases.Thanks così tanti!

Posted by: ralph lauren polo at May 30, 2012 10:53:27 AM

You make it entertaining and you even now manage to help keep it wise.

Posted by: Red Bottom Shoes at Jun 1, 2012 6:51:20 AM

Das war genau das, was ich brauchte! Lektüre Ihrer Post tatsächlich mich motiviert, meine Notizen und Sachen neu zu organisieren, so thanks a lot!

Posted by: Chanel Handtaschen at Jun 9, 2012 4:35:26 AM

et je vous remercie pour votre article, il post.Because peux vous dire que plus de with.I signet votre site! nous voulons essayer tous les

Posted by: casquette new era at Jun 12, 2012 9:52:14 AM

J'ai regardé attentivement cet article, un bon feeling bien, le cœur est très reconnaissante envers les auteurs veulent à des actions, encore plus différent du travail de l'auteur, elle serait considérée.

Posted by: chaussures shox at Jun 12, 2012 9:53:24 AM

Grazie per il bel blog. E 'stato molto utile per me. Mantenere la condivisione di queste idee in

futuro.

Posted by: Burberry Borse at Jun 19, 2012 4:36:35 AM

I am very glad to read and visit your site.

Posted by: MBA Dissertation at Jun 29, 2012 9:00:17 AM

only make his mind up himself, the body of the bending confidence to straight; Only to the cowardly strong body and bound up the steps to plan; Only make their narrow open up, shortsighted eye can put far; Only make his mind up, the foolish foolish fantasy to abandon!!!!!

Posted by: Cheap Moncler at Jun 30, 2012 3:08:45 AM

Ich liebe, was du da oben sind es auch. Solche cleveren Arbeit und Berichterstattung! Halten Sie sich die sehr gute Werke Jungs, die ich aufgenommen euch zu meiner Blogroll habe.

Posted by: Moncler at Jul 3, 2012 5:00:30 AM

If you Isabel Marant are a fashion freak woman who loves to have stylish footwear then the right place for you to head in this day and age to shop them is the online shoe store. This is because shopping for ladies footwear online offers a number of benefits to you as the shopper

Posted by: Isabel Marant at Jul 5, 2012 5:06:10 PM

Nice posting, I like the way how you express yourself. Keep up the good work.

Posted by: Authentic Jordan Shoes at Jul 6, 2012 11:34:28 AM

Informações úteis. Fortunate mim, pessoalmente, descobri seu site acidentalmente, bem como Iam surpreendeu a razão pela qual este incidente em particular didnat ocorrido anteriormente! Nós salvamos esse

Posted by: Air max LTD homme at Jul 12, 2012 12:17:33 PM