« Kodak moments fading into history | Main | A MegaAge breakfast with iPad 3 »

Saturday, February 11, 2012

Sony makes stunning progress in digital cameras in 13 years, next the Social Camera

Sony-dscf505
My first digital camera was the Sony DCS-505, a stunning 2.1MP camera I bought as it was launched in Japan in 1999. Now 13 years and many digital cameras, lately the Ricoh GX-200 I return to a Sony camera. The NEX5 with a 24mm Zeiss 1.8 lens. The lens & camera was a birthday present of my dear friends and family (Thank you!). I have deliberately skipped DSLRs due to their size. I have shot a lot of pictures using cameraphones. What I need is great low light photography. I shoot, food and people, everyday things. Mostly to remember. With the NEX-5N I think I will do a bit of classic protography as art, lets see. I completely dig the NEX5N in low light, it is like a dinky black hole sucking all light around it.

CL Nex5N

We have come a long way in 13 years, yet I find it very interesting to notice how similar the DCS505 is to the NEX-5N is general bulk. Yet in performance one is a T-Ford and the other is a Beeltle, both destined to be classics.

It is interesting to see the raise of the Micro FourThirds, as the camera community prefers to call the category of cameras. The NEX is the emerging leaders of, if we judge it from Amazon best seller list. DPreview has the perfect review, I have nothing to add, except, the user interface of the camera is nothing less of a train wreck. It is full of features, but lack a clever UI style, one that enables creation of a mental map of how the camera works. I have now used it a couple of weeks, and I am still unsure where things are.  It has lots of image control, but if we then think that much of the post image processing, and all of the social imaging features are missing. This cannot be added without a disruption and starting over.

Imagine taking the iPhone type body and sticking on a Zeiss lens. Imagine a camera manufacturer turning the camera into an a social app platform for imaging.  I have no doubt that this will emerge, as the app platforms of Android is segmenting into smaller ecosystems like Kindle Fire. The question who is going to do this. The lenses on the one-hand and the SW apps, and services are providing both lock-in and service business models. The Recent Polaroid Android is heading in the right direction.

This is in my mind the future of digital cameras, a social camera. A type of 21st century extension of the Brownie box. Designing this total image service experience would be a blast.

Comments

We had the same first camera: the Sony DCS-505. It was fun taking pictures with it, and the pictures were always crystal clear. I prefer this kind of camera over a DSLR, as I can bring this anywhere without the hassle of lugging around a heavy camera case.

Posted by: Rose Ector at Feb 15, 2012 7:46:15 PM

his UI is in my mind a perfection of the past. It perfects the menu UI, all apps are in same hierachy, multi-tasking works much like a

Posted by: womens vans shoes at Feb 22, 2012 12:18:15 PM

but his family charts and blood samples led to a sharper understanding of the recessive diseases that only surface if both parents carry a defective gene.

Posted by: ralph lauren sale at Feb 23, 2012 2:25:41 AM

North Carolina State (18-10, 7-6) and Miami

Posted by: timberland boots outlet at Feb 23, 2012 8:19:47 AM

Posted by: the north face at Feb 23, 2012 10:47:20 AM

monster diddy beatsmonster diddy beatsmonster diddy beatsmonster diddy beatsmonster diddy beatsmonster diddy beatsmonster diddy beatsmonster diddy beats

Posted by: monster diddy beats at Feb 23, 2012 11:29:15 AM

Tensions are often high in Jerusalem and surroundings. Israeli police clashed with Palestinian stone throwers last week

Posted by: sale christiann loubouti at Feb 27, 2012 3:27:56 AM

Great work! Thanks for the great info.

Posted by: JonathanN at Feb 29, 2012 11:04:21 PM

Many people like read articles and good articles can attract more people to read and help more pelple. this article belong to good article adapt to any people read. no matter men women or children ,younger of oler .this article is very meanful from every aspect , such article is our like .thanks you give us so good article. We will support always

Posted by: air max 90 at Mar 1, 2012 8:52:28 AM

Posted by: tn max at Mar 3, 2012 8:28:31 AM

Obama's backers in Ohio have been repeatedly tested

Posted by: timberland 6inch at Mar 6, 2012 3:16:09 AM

The whole effort is to dispirit you."

Posted by: timberland 6inch at Mar 8, 2012 3:25:11 AM

The whole effort is to dispirit you."的

Posted by: bottes timberland at Mar 9, 2012 8:20:19 AM

Posted by: ray ban lunettes at Mar 13, 2012 6:27:09 AM

Designing this total image service experience would be a blast.

Posted by: lunette oakley at Mar 20, 2012 11:51:44 AM

"The earlier intervention can start with these children, the better chance of preventing these long-term consequences," Goldman said.

Posted by: bottes timberland at Mar 21, 2012 9:28:11 AM

Why don't you guys come out? Listen to what Sam and I have to say. Then base your opinions off of that, instead of what others have written about me.

Posted by: large remote control helicopters at Mar 23, 2012 10:24:05 AM

The matchup between Kentucky and Louisville will receive the most attention because it's the first Final Four game between in-state rivals since Cincinnati and tn nike requin met for the 1962 national title.

Posted by: tn nike requi at Mar 26, 2012 1:08:42 PM

It is like a dinky black hole sucking all light around it.

Posted by: E. Ogara at Mar 28, 2012 10:56:05 AM

perfect,i like this Sony camera

Posted by: franklin and marshall at Apr 8, 2012 11:32:29 AM

Good article. thank you for your posts. but i think you can join into my link, and you can find that fashional feeling in here await youclothes for sale

Posted by: Clothing outlet at Apr 10, 2012 4:34:12 AM

It is like a dinky black hole sucking all light around it. good job!

Posted by: Chanel Handbags at Apr 10, 2012 5:29:31 AM

No honest what dignity, when l was gone, the body does not have the life, faith is the supreme virtue, half the truth is often a palpable lies, sincere person, way of heaven; person of sincerity, the way of the.

Posted by: air jordan tinker edition at Apr 17, 2012 12:57:04 PM

Posted by: Ralph Lauren at Apr 19, 2012 9:24:02 AM

Nestled right in the center of New York City overlooking 5th Ave on the perfect last day of winter, Coach found a spot to showcase their Fall 2012 Legacy collection. The new location from their typical preview gave way to an entirely new look for the brand, almost like a relaunch. Gone is Coach monogramming (at least from the featured lines), and in its place is classic leather and beautiful colors. Coach dug back into its archives to reinvigorate their Fall 2012 line with its new Legacy collection

Posted by: coach outlet online at Apr 23, 2012 12:09:53 PM