« Sony makes stunning progress in digital cameras in 13 years, next the Social Camera | Main | Finns are really not as inconsiderate as Helena Eronen. Shame on you! »

Saturday, April 07, 2012

A MegaAge breakfast with iPad 3

Breakfast with iPad 3
The iPad 3 with its high resolution display is the first MegaAge mobile computer, one that is providing a Hi-Fi experience. My iPad arrived mid March and the digital life migrated into it. This iPad is my fourth one and a completely natural part of my life. I use it for business as well as pleasure and it follows me everywhere. The Laptop has been relagated to crunch tool. In fact I feel that the Mac feel old. The newest of the Macs at home is the Mac Mini and upgrading it last fall was a real dissapointment, everyone thought it was a slow laggard. I decided to rescue the situation with a boost of RAM to 8GB, luckily it helped, it probably also wants a solid state drive. What really blows my mind is I have about 1.8M more pixels on the iPad compared to my Macbook Air and it does not feel sluggish.

MegaAge is the first hi-fidelity digital era, bringing massive boost in quality of content and quality of experience. We want MegaAge experiences. The first ones emerging were HD movies, and now you expect to see movies and TV programmes in HD. MegaAge content should be enjoyed on big screens, in screens bigger is better, 10 years ago 32" was a big TV and now this would be 55" The latest Samsung and LGs are also going MegaAge with resolution. In a not too distant future we look at 100" being big.

Digital cameras and camcorders are pushing into 20 Mega pixels and most shoot HD 1080p video. The newest smartphones have leaped into the mega age. Nokia with a 41MP image sensor, producing amazing images, at full resolution is 10MB. Why should we not enjoy stunning images, video and content. This kind of leaps create experience transformations. The mega age devices challenge print for the first time. There is no reason why digital should be worse than print.

At the core of mega age is the simple concept of More is better. There is a very famous experiment with seagull chicks where scientist painted two red dots on a wooden stick instead of the single one on the beek of the seagull. The result is that he chicks pick at the two dot stick with frenetic intensity, much more than at the beek of the seagull. If the seagulls brain works like this, why would ours not. Professor Nigel Spivey beautifully demonstrated the intrest for more and exaggeration in his seminal documentary How Art Made the World. One of the senior designers at Fjord, Ossi Alho, captured this beautifully, when you enter MegaAge there is no way back. I have to agree with him.

The MegaAge comes with a darkside, the file sizes are exploading past the capability of storage and network. Couple weeks ago I was making some MegaAge slides, in fact 17 of them, it was a little report on the Mobile World Congress. It had rich detailed photography, it became a monsterous 220Mb file. The end product was a 1.5Mb pdf, what a loss. I had done something better, and delivered less. I wanted to give more, but I could not. Our networks, infrastructure of connectivity is not ready for MegaAge. Neither is our services, YouSendIt has a limit of sending 50MB files for free, and Gmail enables you to send 20MB in a mail. I could pay to send more via YouSendIt, but the business model is not following, I do not benefit from sending the higher res file. I suspect we will get network capacity problems in the mega age.

You might argue that MegaAge is nonsense, but lets look at more evidence evidence. The new Keynote on the iPad is 327 Mb where it was 110 Mb, the new Pages is 269 Mb compared to 95Mb. There seems to be a 3x size increase in visually rich apps if the apps take full advantage of the retina display and include high res content like video tutorials. If we assume that there is 4x as many pixels, one could argue that the digital magazines should also go MegaAge and boosting size to 2Gb for an issue of Wired.

Why should it be less, the raw material is anyway better. MegaAge is an age of more, more is more. More is better. You cannot argue with quality, no one wants to look at a low res photo if a high res version is available. The only rationale for lower res, would be to argue that it is art. Think of Instagram.

The iPad is now great video screen, enabling HD quality experience, the only problem is that 64GB is giving limited choice. Streaming is not an option on a mobile device hopping from base station to base station. My new iPad will become my photoeditor, a sort of sortstation for good images and bad ones, and then a bit of editing. Will be interesting to see if it has enough horse power to manage content in the MegaAge. But I suspect visual impact will trumph speed, storage and processing power, and hence the iPad 3 is the start of something new in computing. How exciting!

Comments

Hey Christian,

I know exactly what you mean by having an iPad as a completely natural part of your life.

And I think that Padlette (www.Padlette.com) is an accessory that makes it even more natural. I know you have the black one, but it's wrong color, right?

Pick up your fav color from the selection of 8, and I will change your black one into another one!

/Pete, www.GreenSens.fi

Posted by: Peter Green at Apr 7, 2012 4:24:41 PM

Think of Instagram.

Posted by: nike tn at Apr 12, 2012 5:06:52 AM

How exciting!

Posted by: ray ban at Apr 16, 2012 4:32:21 AM

You will not come to feel loaded with anything thanks to carrying the garments of this business, due to its intent will be to maintain the decency within the lots of the consumers.

Posted by: abercrombie and fitch sale at Apr 16, 2012 6:06:39 AM

Posted by: Ralph Lauren outlet at Apr 19, 2012 9:23:17 AM

Posted by: ray ban uk at Apr 25, 2012 4:16:02 AM

I just like the approach you took with this subject. It isn%u2019t every day that you discover something so concise and enlightening.

Posted by: nike air max at Apr 26, 2012 9:35:31 AM

Posted by: ray ban wayfarer at Apr 28, 2012 4:09:40 AM

Posted by: tn nike requin at May 3, 2012 5:16:42 AM

Thanks for your sharing,I will pay more attentions to your blog.
"it is released by http://www.cheapraybansoutlet.co.uk/ 2012.05.14"

Posted by: cheapraybans at May 14, 2012 12:42:17 PM

Thank you for your website, your web site for me are of great help. I wish you happiness every day.
"it is released by http://www.cheapraybansoutlet.co.uk/ 2012.05.14"

Posted by: cheapraybans at May 14, 2012 12:48:45 PM

www.againtown.comresource. Their stories are superbly interesting. Last year she had Gustav Söderström from Spotify on stage, sharing how they plan to make Spotify more sticky and
Authentic Jordan Shoessocial, now you can see the fruits of that work.

To show our appriciation of the conference, we are rolling in the designers to document the event into a New Basketball Sneakersconference conversation. If you attended the event in November in San Francisco,Wholesale Watches you could not have avoided seeing the gigant murals we created at the back of the conference roomKobe Bryant Shoes

Posted by: Authentic Jordan Shoes at May 15, 2012 12:44:15 PM

the processing port will find the memory address table to determine the destination MAC (network card hardware address) NIC (network card) mount on which port through the internal switch fabric quickly data packets to the destination port, destination MAC if there is only broadcast to all ports

Posted by: cisco router at May 17, 2012 4:54:03 PM

Posted by: abercrombie & fitch at May 19, 2012 10:00:04 AM

Congratulations! One more great contribution by you to the world!

Posted by: chanel wallet on sale at May 22, 2012 5:50:50 AM

You gave me good informations. Thanks for this

Posted by: oakley glasses at May 24, 2012 4:55:35 AM

Evening Dresses

Posted by: wang at May 28, 2012 4:41:27 AM

That is some inspirational stuff. Never knew that opinions could be this varied. Thanks for all the

enthusiasm to offer such helpful information here.

Posted by: Chanel Handtaschen at May 28, 2012 10:05:38 AM

I am so happy to read your post , it is wonderful .

Posted by: Louis Vuitton Prezzi Borse at May 28, 2012 10:24:27 AM

The blog article very surprised to me! Your writing is good.

Posted by: Chanel Sac à Main at May 28, 2012 11:11:31 AM

Posted by: rayban aviateur at May 31, 2012 6:25:21 AM

The mills or God grind slowly.

Posted by: Coach Factory at Jun 2, 2012 6:03:56 AM

There's also uniquely created caps designed for special events. A variety of blueprints and colors may be seen in newborn bonnets. Lines, polka spots, neon hues, and also herb posters is there for starters. Foolish to select from will be available in the marketplace.
supreme snap back Hot along with funny-looking elf less difficult, jester limits, along with lots more types tends to make young children search far more fascinating as well as eye-catching. Incidents where have designs by using this halloween, tolerate, panda, and many many other dog ears
supreme hats.

Posted by: jiandanzuoren at Jun 6, 2012 10:37:16 AM

Vous avez fait fantastiques points de gentilles ici. J'ai effectué une recherche sur la question et a découvert presque tous les peuples seront d'accord avec votre blog.

Posted by: Burberry Sac at Jun 9, 2012 10:26:28 AM

I really like this website, und hoffen, dass Sie mehr zu schreiben, vielen Dank für Ihre Informationen.

Posted by: Chanel Taschen at Jun 9, 2012 10:50:39 AM