« Today a new experience awaits - Running a Half Marathon | Main | Back to building own experiences »

Saturday, May 19, 2012

I crashed, a new intimate digital experience has emerged

Fuelband small
Nike Fuelband has managed to seduce me. I love the soft feel, and the way it comes to life. I got it two weeks ago and set-up worked very well. Turning it on is close to magical, the device lits up and you get progress feedback on the line of colour LEDs, showing how much you have to your daily goal. The Nike Fuelband takes the Nike brand into the casual space. The emergence of 24/7 wearables was one of the themes of the 2012 Fjord digital trends, for which I am the editor for. I also wrote about them in Wired in September 2011. The Fuelband is a 16/7 wearable, I wear it during my awake time. It took only few days to get me to want to put it on along my clothes in the morning.

Last Tuesday it could not sync, I tried the app, the Mac app, nothing worked. Suddenly I got a new feeling, I had crashed. My day was not getting recorded. I finally reset the Fuelband to loose the day of recording. (Valeria from the Nike support team suggested a fix that worked, thanks! To empty the cache and cookies for Nike in the browser.) I was really surprised about my reaction. I then started thinking about it. I have worked with crashing technology for past 20 years, yet this crash was different. I finally came to the conclusion that the Fuelband had crossed a line from personal to intimate technology. The Fuelband is in some way an extension of self. I suspect this is an inflection point. I am of the opinion that wearables is the next mobile frontier, for example expressed here.

The Fuelband is more jewelry than sports instrument. It has been criticized for not being exact and factors like weight and age has no impact. I am not sure if this is a problem or not. My assumption is that function creates a longer lasting relationship than form. At Fjord we argue that one can create a business that either appeals to the brain or the hearth. Businesses that appear to the hearth have a greater potential to create value. The Fuelband in some ways challenges this concept by making jewelery more scientific it should lock me deeper, appealing to my brain and making it more jewelry like increases its value as an object. It is thus on a trajectory of mega value, creating passionate users. I think we could have passionate love relationships to our jewelry wearables, it is what makes them intimate. This is big.

When I first got home with the Fuelband, we were sitting having dinner. At the end of the dinner Lu asks what I am wearing. I say it is the Nike Fuelband. No reaction, neither her, nor Sofia 14. I would try to surprise them. I stretched out my hand pressed the button, the Fuelband lit up and then something surprising takes place. Both scream in amazement, spontaneous WOWs and immediately Lu says she want one. Lu wants it in a different colour and wonder if one could have one with hooks for Charmes. Sofia starts a super active campaign to get one, or atleast take mine to school. This frenzy lasts for 20 minutes. I have brought home lots of different gadgets, and the reaction to this is in a class of its own. It supports my intuition. The ‘Wife and Teenage Daughter’ test is past with great clear margin.

I think there is a killer opportunity to fuse jewelry and functionality for a 24/7 wearable. The Jawbone UP is also supposed to be used 24/7, but sleep detection is a manual activity, and forgetting it creates wrong data. This creates problems for users and they loose interest. The problem is that these gadgets do not naturally latch onto a ritual. One close at hand with wearables is setting the alarm for the next morning. It should be possible to design a new digital ritual, where one sets an alarm and confirm by going to sleep. I was thinking how to keep the jewelry like feel and create a richer, yet elegantly simple interface. My thoughts naturally gravitate to my force and touch sensor and the ability to make one or two keys into smart keys enabling click, touch and force sensing. With two keys one should be able to design a usable interface enabling for example alarm or sleep activation. It is still early days for wearable jewelry, but it is absolutely a fascinating domain.

Comments

It's funny how we adopt words and adapt our lexicon to the times. This is a very useful slant on things.

Posted by: Louis Vuitton Bags For Cheap at May 28, 2012 11:01:12 AM

Posted by: clubmaster ray ban at May 31, 2012 6:20:56 AM

Detta är en av de stora ämne för läsarna vilket också är roligt att kommentera också. Tack för att dela detta med oss. Lycklig shopping ... :)

Posted by: new era gorras at Jun 6, 2012 10:47:13 AM

Eu não sou muito de um leitor on-line para ser honesto, mas seus sites muito legal, continue assim! Eu vou em frente e marcar o seu site para voltar mais tarde. Todo o material best.pretty valioso, no geral eu acho que isso é digno de um marcador, graças

Posted by: maillot football at Jun 7, 2012 11:32:46 AM

Olá eu sou tão animado que eu encontrei sua página do blog, eu realmente encontrei por acaso, enquanto eu estava pesquisando no Yahoo para outra coisa, qualquer forma eu estou aqui agora e gostaria apenas de dizer obrigado por um post fantástico e uma agradável durante todo o blog (que eu também adoro o tema / design), eu não tenho tempo para ler tudo no momento, mas eu tenho-book marcou e também os seus feeds RSS, então quando eu tiver tempo eu vou estar de volta a ler muito mais, por favor, não acompanhar o trabalho fantástico.

Posted by: air max 90 pas cher at Jun 7, 2012 11:35:26 AM

Nike has gotten the store gucciparticular stigma of the huge company entering expert skate boarding as a way to nike tncreate numerous means. My partner and i have been apprehensive originally with regards to Nike skate shoes and boots, however I like how they??¥ve acquired removed regarding it. As opposed to creating low-cost trash skilled skateboard shoes as well as wanting to undercut your skate kick out industry, Nike has gotten the nike tnparticular large route. nike shox tl3 white colored violet have their own private exclusive page layout, even though a selection of their certain sneakers appear to be virtually any collection concerning crayons remaining over the stove Ralph Laurenburner, many look rather good. And also they each is well-built. Whichever your recognize Nike having in the skate business, it really is fantastic they will actually got enough time to help to make skate boarding boots or shoes which usually are amazing. tn nike

Posted by: nike shox pas cher at Jun 13, 2012 12:18:43 PM

Freelancing projects makes it possible for a company to focus on it's center exercise, thus permitting them to relieve expenses, plus gain growth. Since the business stretches, additionally , it commences to possess even larger monetary plus manpower requires, turning it into eliminate it's give attention to those activities that actually make the bosses worthwhile. By way of freelancing a bunch of performs which in turn tend not to offer instantly with gain, the organization isn't going to need to "reinvent the particular wheel" in dealing with most of these most likely really expensive Fake Oakley Ducati Sunglasses.

Posted by: sunglass at Jun 19, 2012 4:08:51 AM

Não muito tempo identificado sobre o seu site e ainda estão já a ler junto. Achei que eu vou ser capaz de deixar meu comentário primeiro. eu não verificar o que dizer, exceto que eu gostava de ler. É bom blog. indisposição ser bookmarking manter esse site muito normalmente.

Posted by: Nike Air Max Classic BW at Jul 12, 2012 12:19:17 PM

Fuelband small. Nike Fuelband has managed to seduce me. I love the soft feel, and

Posted by: hermes at Jul 13, 2012 6:49:54 AM

Azt hiszem ezt a weboldalt tartalmaz néhány igazi hasznos információ mindenki számára.

Posted by: sac Louis Vuitton femme at Jul 20, 2012 9:54:17 AM

Din artikel är mycket intressant och humoristisk. Från din artikel, kan jag se den verkliga innebörden av ordet lycklig. Den här artikeln tror jag många människor är till hjälp. Mycket turen att dela den här artikeln till din. Ser fram emot dina uppdateringar.

Posted by: air max skyline pas cher at Aug 1, 2012 11:57:05 AM

I have been sleeping all alone,
You have been staring in my dreams.
I want to kiss you, my baby,
I want to kiss you tonight.

Posted by: Basketball Sneakers at Aug 6, 2012 10:03:23 AM

Grande articolo. Grazie per la condivisione delle informazioni con noi, questo blog è molto interessante, grazie, Divertitevi guardando il mio sito web.

Posted by: portafoglio louis vuitton at Aug 9, 2012 11:18:53 AM

Läs en hel del bloggar speciellt intressanta uppstickare som din blogg, bra inlägg! Hittade jag råkade din webbplats på internet, jag kommer att komma tillbaka hit ännu again.Love information är vacker. Håll posThese artiklar är fantastiska, är den information du visa oss intressanta för alla och är riktigt bra skrivet, mycket informativt. Det är bara trevligt! fortsätta göra inlägg. Tack!

Posted by: sandali mbt donna at Aug 23, 2012 11:28:45 AM

vocabulary courses terminology five aspects notion by making use of the "water", "wood", the two to some one particular another. Two reproductions by making use of the Logo are by procedure within

Posted by: Cheap Football Boots at Sep 6, 2012 12:27:54 PM

Hi! Elskede dine læser dine blogs. Great energi! Jeg er lige begyndt at blogge mig og tilføjede dig til min liste. Håber du vil tjekke min blog, når du kan! Fortsæt det gode arbejde!

Posted by: monster power beats at Sep 12, 2012 12:33:36 PM

My partner and i usually are sincerely favorably trying to expose specifics about this generate almost any difference regarding for years now. Thus, sincerely treasure everyone finding any time to produce about this.

Posted by: louis vuitton sac at Oct 22, 2012 10:15:19 AM

Hey there! ¿Sabes si hacen algún complemento para protegerse de los hackers? Yo estoy un poco paranoico de perder todo lo que he trabajado duro. ¿Algún consejo? Hola! ¿Sabes si hacen algún complemento para protegerse de los hackers? Yo estoy un poco paranoico de perder todo lo que he trabajado duro. ¿Algún consejo?

Posted by: homme nike lunarglide 3 at Oct 24, 2012 12:49:33 PM